I'm not sure how to justify that title. Maybe, I am not able to post as often as I think I should : )
I have been watching the most recent Supreme Court rulings with sadness and concern. I don't know what these people are thinking. It makes me wonder if they see a change coming and this is a desperate last-ditch effort to turn the country into a socialist nation before they are out of there. Of course, in order for change to take place, the winners will have to act like they are in power and display some backbone.
John MacArthur says that God cannot bless America and maintain His integrity because of how godless this nation has become, and it certainly does seem we are under His judgment.
I want to discuss my reaction to Star Wars, but before I do, I want to say that there are those who might think that my watching this movie is wrong for a Christian.
But the reason I am comfortable watching sci-fi is that it is imaginary. I am not swayed to turn to the dark side when I watch Star Wars. I enjoy seeing the alien critters that folks come up with, and I enjoy the story. The special effects are amazing, but nothing that they can come up with can out do what God has already thought of! God does not require camera's, trick mirrors or computer graphics to perform His miracles because His creation must obey Him. Consider what appears to be time travel which the Apostle John describes in Revelation 1:9-20; or much of the events described in Revelation concerning the seven years of the tribulation.
Also amazing -- Philip disappearing before the Ethiopian eunuch's very eyes as he was "snatched away" by the Spirit of the Lord in Acts 8:39. Consider the incredible adventures of the Old Testament -- a talking donkey, a boy slaying a giant, an entire sea dividing to let over a million people cross on dry land, a widow's son raised from the dead, the walls of Jericho being breeched by shouting and trumpets, etc., etc. Some of the best battles and battle strategies are displayed in the Old Testament. You should definitely read about the battle against Sennacherib! And of course, the New Testament accounts of Jesus' life, miracles, death, resurrection and ascension to heaven are the most wonderful of all. Then the accounts of the beginning of the church in Acts -- there are some astounding events told about there, by eyewitnesses. And -- to put it into perspective -- the whole of the Bible is TRUTH. These are historical accounts - not the product of man's imagination.
That being said, I do know the difference between reality and fiction and though I do enjoy fiction, I am not swept away by it. I did not cry over the ending of Star Wars, unlike Spielberg - who is lost and in desperate need of Jesus Christ...
So, as I said, Kate and I watched Star Wars last weekend. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just what it needed to be. I have heard the multiple warnings of how dark this movie is and was concerned about what was done with it. But except for the battle where Senator Palpatine gets ugly, and the "hot" scene that leads to the making of Darth Vadar, it was pretty typical of Star Wars. We didn't see the younglings get killed -- which was a great restraint on the movie maker's part -- and the light saber scenes were typical. I think the Yoda battles are hilarious! He is such a squatty little thing. All in all, it was a good ending to the series.
Kate noted that at one point Padme had the same hair style that Leia wore in episode IV, which was a nice touch. We both thought that, as is typical with Star Wars, there was some pretty lame acting. In particular, the whole "we're like brothers and we are crazy mad in love with each other" build between Anakin and Obi-Wan was unconvincing -- even if it was entirely plausible with their history. I thought Anakin portrayed his dark side pretty well though.
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." First Peter chapter one, verses three through five
Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flower fades but the word of our Lord stands forever.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment