Isaiah 40:8

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flower fades but the word of our Lord stands forever.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Great Expectations: A delightful read...strange punctuation

"Here! Give me your fork, Mum, and take the baby," said Flopson. "Don’t take it that way, or you’ll get its head under the table."
Thus advised, Mrs. Pocket took it the other way, and got its head upon the table; which was announced to all present by a prodigious concussion.
"Dear, dear! give it me back, Mum," said Flopson; "and Miss Jane, come and dance the baby, do!"
One of the little girls, a mere mite who seemed to have prematurely taken upon herself some charge of the others, stepped out of her place by me, and danced to and from the baby until it left off crying, and laughed. Then all the children laughed, and Mr. Pocket (who in the mean time had twice endeavored to lift himself up by the hair) laughed, and we all laughed and were glad.

Charles Dickens had a wonderful way about him. I don't believe I have ever read him before, only watched him. Fibonacci's policy of never watching a book before reading it is a good one.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Great Expectations? I remember reading that book in high school, but the text you posted isn't reading any bells. Did you just choose the title and not mean to indicate which Dickens work it came from?

Becky said...

No, it is from the actual book, Great Expectations by Dickens. The scene is Pip's first meal at the home of Mr. Pocket, who is to tutor him. Mr. Pocket is the father of the pale young man whose ears Pip boxed early in the story.

Qalmlea said...

That one I haven't read. I enjoyed David Copperfield and Tale of Two Cities. Dickens is also the author of the original "Christmas Carol".

(It helps to understand his punctuation and sentences if you know he got paid by the word. But I quite enjoy the effect)

Matt said...

Ah, okay, my memory is simply faulty. I should go back and re-read the book. Thanks!