Isaiah 40:8

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flower fades but the word of our Lord stands forever.

Saturday, March 10, 2007

Waiting for Mr. Google

Trying to send off some pictures to someone who is waiting for them, but the system keeps telling me to try again, and again, and again... Living Gluten Free for Dummies.

Thanks for the advice on the gluten recipe books, Qalmlea; I ordered two from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. I am in the midst of a project and haven't had time to get into them yet, though. I also ordered,


I don't know if this is the problem or not. I am going to have to start keeping a journal of food consumption and reactions, (I know I was supposed to do that a long time ago -- the best laid plans...) as I think there is more to my story. I have been very careful to not eat gluten, but I keep having flare ups of pain. I am losing weight again.




Also, the blood tests came back negative. I am not sure which two were done, but I am waiting to find out for sure before I am going to trust the results. Maybe I am just allergic to certain foods. I just don't know what to think. It does seem that some gluten free foods are getting to me too.




FYI: Gluten can be found in places you would never think of...your mouthwash, your toothpaste, your vitamins, your Rx, your salsa, etc., etc., etc...



I have been trying for over a half an hour to send those photos, I don't think it is going to happen today.

5 comments:

Qalmlea said...

The most annoying thing to me is the prevalence of "malt" aka "barley malt" in so many foods. Rice Krispies, for instance.

Incidentally, white vinegar and pure alcohols made from wheat, barley, or rye are considered to be gluten-free. The distilling process removes all the gluten. I still stick with apple-cider vinegar (and I don't drink anyway), but that's me.

Other non-obvious things to watch for are mono- and di-glycerides, carmel color, dextrin, and soy sauce. There is a GF soy sauce available, though. Natural flavors/colors can be suspect, but so far I haven't had any problems (and they will soon be required to list sources for everything). 9

*sighs* At one point I found a comprehensive list on the web, and I can't find it now. But Bette Hagman usually lists some in her books, and likely so does the Dummy's Guide.

Becky said...

I'm seeing some of the labeling now, but more is better. I always appreciate your input. Thanks. I did read about the vinegar. I also use apple cider when I do my own stuff, but I am a pushover for pickles.

I did find a comprehensive list of what to watch out for online, but I can't seem to find it again either.

Qalmlea said...

Found a decent list. Two things worth mentioning: avoid artificial crab (uses wheat flour as a binder), and do not lick stamps or envelopes (the glue is often derived from gluten).

Qalmlea said...

Here's another list (warning: PDF). The site format is a bit cramped, but it's a more complete list than the other.

Becky said...

Thanks again! Those are both new to me.