On Friday, before New Years, I came down with the flu. Uggh. I did all the right stuff, took in plenty of liquids, rested plenty (though did get up and move around, lest pneumonia settle in) downed assorted helpful home remedies, BUT NO! I still ended up with bronchitis! Uggh. I went to the doctor today and got drugs. Some thing I try to avoid whenever possible. My
fellow sign teacher anticipates I am out for another week. It is a good thing she can use Kate to help with the teaching, testing, etc.
I have been spending some of my time reading the Thoene's latest book, Fourth Dawn, which is well done and interesting. I have also seen several movies - What about Bob? (Fib and Kate got it for me for Christmas, I love that movie); The most recent Miracle Worker, which we watched in the sign class before Christmas; Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow; and am currently working my way through the newest Phantom of the Opera.
I don't stick with anything too long, as I feel yucky, but it is nice to fill in some gaps. Last night a Christian station ran Beyond the Gates of Splendor, which is an extremely well done documentary about the 5 missionaries - Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, Roger Youdarian, Ed McCully, and Pete Fleming - who were murdered by an Indian tribe in Equador, the Aucas (Waodani)
in the 1950s when they were trying reach them with the gospel. This story is compelling and convicting.
It was followed by another program, Dare to Make Contact, which is about the making of the upcoming film, The End of the Spear, which also looks to be very well done. Chad Allen plays both Nate Saint and his grown-up son, Steve Saint, in the film. Steve Saint actually plays one of the men in the search party. He said the most difficult scene for him was the reenactment of the killings. The Woadani have played a big part in the telling of the story
and some of the men who actually took part in the killings are like family to the families of the missionaries. They were (of course) able to give a detailed description of the event.
I have recently read the book, Jungle Pilot, which is the story of Nate and Marj Saint, and will soon be reading Through the Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot, which is apparently a different perspective on the story. The End of the Spear is supposed to be in theaters this month.End of the Spear
fellow sign teacher anticipates I am out for another week. It is a good thing she can use Kate to help with the teaching, testing, etc.
I have been spending some of my time reading the Thoene's latest book, Fourth Dawn, which is well done and interesting. I have also seen several movies - What about Bob? (Fib and Kate got it for me for Christmas, I love that movie); The most recent Miracle Worker, which we watched in the sign class before Christmas; Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow; and am currently working my way through the newest Phantom of the Opera.
I don't stick with anything too long, as I feel yucky, but it is nice to fill in some gaps. Last night a Christian station ran Beyond the Gates of Splendor, which is an extremely well done documentary about the 5 missionaries - Nate Saint, Jim Elliot, Roger Youdarian, Ed McCully, and Pete Fleming - who were murdered by an Indian tribe in Equador, the Aucas (Waodani)
in the 1950s when they were trying reach them with the gospel. This story is compelling and convicting.
It was followed by another program, Dare to Make Contact, which is about the making of the upcoming film, The End of the Spear, which also looks to be very well done. Chad Allen plays both Nate Saint and his grown-up son, Steve Saint, in the film. Steve Saint actually plays one of the men in the search party. He said the most difficult scene for him was the reenactment of the killings. The Woadani have played a big part in the telling of the story
and some of the men who actually took part in the killings are like family to the families of the missionaries. They were (of course) able to give a detailed description of the event.
I have recently read the book, Jungle Pilot, which is the story of Nate and Marj Saint, and will soon be reading Through the Gates of Splendor by Elizabeth Elliot, which is apparently a different perspective on the story. The End of the Spear is supposed to be in theaters this month.End of the Spear
Beyond the Gates of Splendor
The rest of the fam are at Kate's second to last home game tonight, the last of which is this Thursday. I will be missing both as the doc says I am contagious. I am very, very sad and disappointed. Also, Fibonacci heads back home tomorrow and I feel pretty cheated of quality time of his extended stay. But that's just me complaining. We have had some sweet times, especially pre-sick times. It's just that I had some plans for this past week that are toast.
Apparently God had other plans...
The rest of the fam are at Kate's second to last home game tonight, the last of which is this Thursday. I will be missing both as the doc says I am contagious. I am very, very sad and disappointed. Also, Fibonacci heads back home tomorrow and I feel pretty cheated of quality time of his extended stay. But that's just me complaining. We have had some sweet times, especially pre-sick times. It's just that I had some plans for this past week that are toast.
Apparently God had other plans...
1 comment:
If anyone happens to wander back through here as I have been doing, I have a P.S. to add to this post. Recalling the illness I wrote about reminds me that I have read that Celiac Sprue or gluten intolerance can be triggered by a viral infection or an antibiotic. Not that those are the only possible causes, but it is noteworthy that it was in February after this that my stomach pain began. Took around a year for me to figure out that gluten was contributing to said pain.
Post a Comment