Isaiah 40:8

Isaiah 40:8
The grass withers and the flower fades but the word of our Lord stands forever.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Nine eyes have seen the glory...

Actually, last night we were at a local old folks home where we go once or twice a month to sing and read scripture with the residents and, by request, we did sing the Battle Hymn of the Republic.

One of the most
intriguing people there is Herbie. He is probably in his late 60's or early 70's. He has a very hard time communicating -- he can form a word or two, but then the sentence is lost as he cannot maintain enunciation for long. He does know the songs, and he sings with us as best he can, with eyes shining and a smile on his face. He fairly bursts with excitement.

He has also been bringing
in his guitar with him (he is in a
wheel chair, so we get it for him out of his closet.) The first time he wanted to bring it I was the one who was bringing him down to the piano room. He was trying to tell me he wanted to get it, but I could not understand him. Finally, he held up his hands and pretended to strum a guitar and then I knew what he wanted.

He plays along with the piano and does
pretty well. I
think his mind must be pretty good. He definitly tracks with us, and when scriptures are read and comments are made he responds. Yesterday he was laughing in agreement about a comment Bill made about our sinful selves. He is so alert during the whole time we are there. It is awesome.

Herbie embodies Matthew 5:16, "Let your light shine
before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven."

We went to a family reunion near Coeur d' Alene last
weekend. It was so sweet! We started off visiting our son at his home in Pocatello -- which was great-- as we had never stayed over with him before. There is something special about staying at your kid's home. It lets you see that they are grown up and doing fine.

As
the weekend progressed we saw so many of my
husband's family. It was great to see everyone again. We established some new relationships and renewed some older ones.

We also went to Spokane and saw some dear old friends
we had not seen for over 14 years. This was an essential meeting, and it was so good to reconnect our lives again. We love these people.

All in all it truly was a weekend filled with God's glory.
He blessed it in so many ways, including the traffic ticket! I have a lot of respect for the state troopers out there risking their lives every day. I will try to find time to fill in some details and share a few pictures later.

2 comments:

kate said...

See, I'm commenting.

Becky said...

And it's so profound and relevant to what I said. Thanks. : )